APEX Alberta is providing a free seminar for innovators, entrepreneurs, businesses, students, and startups.
Come and join us at this seminar presented by:
Dan Polonenko, PhD - A principal and patent agent in the Calgary office of Gowling WLG.
Jeff Coles - A lawyer, trademark agent and patent agent in the Calgary office of Gowling WLG.
This will be an interactive session, encouraging audience input, participation and discussion from our group.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
The delivery of the session will be from both a business perspective and a legal perspective, with two overarching themes:
1.Incorporating new ideas or design improvements into an existing business, and
2.Starting a new business around a new idea.
Similar IP issues with both streams:
- Options for protecting ideas (other ways than just patenting; what are they and how can they be acquired & used),
- Things to do, and not do,
- What are your options if someone tries to steal your idea,
- How much will protecting IP cost, how much time will be required, and where can I get help with those costs,
- How can you be certain that someone else won’t try to stop you with a cease and desist letter,
- Things to do if you receive a cease and desist letter.
How to implement and use Good Management Practices for:
- Documentation and record keeping (the realization that an invention may have been discovered usually happens several months after the invention is actually made),
- Keeping trade secrets as secrets, and minimizing premature public disclosures,
- Sorting out who are inventors and who are not.
Cost-efficient options for fast-tracking patent applications through drafting, prosecution, and allowances.
And if time permits, options for fast-tracking prototype development, testing, and commercialization using the resources that are available in southern Alberta.
We are also offering one-on-one meetings where you can meet directly with the IP agents to discuss your specific ideas.
Note that these one-on-one sessions will also be offered at no charge however, an appointment is not guaranteed as appointments will be booked on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The appointment time you will be allotted will be 45 minutes in length.
Tuesday, January 29, 2019
Registrations will begin at 8:30 am
Presentations will start at 8:50 am
Session ends at 12:00 noon
IP Presentation Location:
Medicine Hat College
299 College Drive, Medicine Hat, AB
One-on-one Sessions, Location:
Community Futures office, 556 4th Street SE, Suite 202, Medicine Hat, AB
Jan 29, one-on-one sessions: 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Jan 30, one-on-one sessions: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Note that we will be providing coffee, drinks and snacks but lunch will NOT be provided.
The first 10 registrations will receive a FREE Canadian Intellectual Property Law book.
Please direct all questions about this event, and appointment scheduling to Elizabeth Blair at Eblair@albertacf.com or by calling 403-528-2824 REGISTER HERE