APEX (a collaborative initiative and partnership between three core service providers, Community Futures Entre-Corp, Medicine Hat College and Alberta Innovates) is offering this free seminar.
This seminar will be presented by Sarah Bowman. Sarah is a Partner at Bolton Bishop Bowman law firm in Medicine Hat.
Costs to the overall economy from data breaches are substantial.
In June of 2015, the Canadian government passed the Digital Privacy Act (DPA), an amendment to Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Document Act (PIPEDA). This amendment outlines important information on mandatory breach reporting, notification and record keeping requirements that, until November 2018, have never been adequately enforced by the government.
Aside from the obvious ramifications of a breach such as lost data and revenue, one of the many new requirements of the DPA (effective November 2018) requires all Canadian organizations to "keep and maintain a record of every breach of security safeguards involving personal information under its control."
These new mandatory reporting requirements will have an impact on businesses across Canada. For small business, what does this mean? How can small business prepare for the DPA amendment?
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: This seminar is designed for small business owners.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
• What is considered personal information?
• How will Canadian Digital Privacy Act (DPA) requirements affect your business?
• What is a security breach? Who needs to be notified? How soon should notifications of a breach happen?
• What is proper record keeping in the event of a breach?
• The Privacy Commissioner’s authority (audits, fines for non-compliance)
• Examples of data breach scenarios. What are violations and scenarious that could result in possible fines?
• What are the steps that businesses need to take regarding the DPA to prepare now?
Friday, December 14, 2018
Presentations will start at 10 am sharp
Presentations end at 11:00 am
Questions from 11:00 am - 11:30 am
Medicine Hat College, Crowfoot Room
TO REGISTER FOR THIS EVENT: https://digitalprivacyact.eventbrite.ca