What is an innovative business?
A company and/or entrepreneur that seeks to add commercial value through creation (or application) of better or more effective products, processes, services, technologies, or ideas. Innovation is often associated with developing a technology or implementing a technical solution.
Innovative Business Sectors in Southeast Alberta
While innovation can happen in any type of business, Southeast Alberta's innovative and technology-oriented businesses generally fall into eight overlapping and inter-dependent clusters:
- Software and IT Development
- Unmanned Vehicle Systems
- Industrial Manufacturing
- Science Technology
- Safety & Environment
- Support & Services
Businesses in these categories offer a wide array of products and services – use our directory to find out more.
- “Make that Idea: How You Can Move Your Insights from Concepts to a Real Product” (Presentation by Jay Feaver, Division of Science, Medicine Hat College)
- “Small Business, Entrepreneurship and Innovation” (a working paper from the Institute for Competitiveness & Prosperity)
- “Innovation Canada: A Call to Action (“Jenkins Report”)”
- “Beyond R&D – Gaining Economic Value through Effective Commercialization of Innovations” (Executive Summary-Draft)
- “Global Manufacturing Outlook: Fostering Growth through Innovation”
- “Centre for Business Innovation” (Conference Board of Canada)
- "Industry Funding" (Program guidelines for Innovation Vouchers, Commercialization Associates, and r&D Associates from Alberta Innovates - Technology Futures)